The Douglas County Historical Society was formed in 1953. It was formed to protect and preserve the historical records, artifacts, and buildings in Douglas County which were important in the building of our country and in the lives of the people who lived here. The Lane House located at 544 S.E. Douglas Ave, contains many historical artifacts and is open to the public Saturdays and Sundays from 1:00 until 4:00 p.m. The tour is free of charge. Lane House is also opened for special tours.