Umpqua Valley Tennis Center (UVTC) is a public tennis facility with over 50 years of history, created for the City of Roseburg almost entirely with private donations. UVTC got its start in 1959 with the Junior Chamber of Commerce spearheaded a campaign to build six public outdoor courts in Stewart Park, largely with volunteer help. By 1970, the U.S. was experiencing a tennis boom and the JayCees stepped again by adding six more outdoor courts. In 1980, a clubhouse/snack bar was added, dubbed the Hoffman Center to honor Al Hoffman, the legendary coach who led Roseburg High School’s tennis team to multiple district and state championships. By 1989, interest in year-round play was strong enough that the tennis community was able to raise the funds to construct three indoor courts. Thirteen years and $1.6 million in donations later, three additional indoor courts were added along with offices, a pro shop, locker rooms and a viewing area that rivals the best on the west coast. UVTC is a family-friendly facility that actively promotes tennis in the greater Roseburg area with low-cost tennis junior programs in conjunction with local schools and nonprofit organizations, and offers in-instruction, league play and social activities for players of all levels.